Tuesday, July 26, 2005

More Mexico, New Mexico and the Grand Canyon

THe evening of my last post, Sunday, I went to an open air jazz concert in a national park in El Paso, which was ok, the songs were all jazz classics, kinda boring, although there were some good instrumentalists. I got some food there too, a burrito which was quite nice, and a "Blooming Onion" which is an onion, sliced up and opened like a flower, and deep fried, served with a sauce or ketchup, it was absolutely delicious.
The next day I cocked up the buses to Flagstaff (for the Grand Canyon), so I went over to Mexico to have breakfast and a wander round, now having a bit more idea of where I was going thanks to the guy at the hostel. I got a poncho at the market for my sister, and had a pretty good omelette with chorizo (mexican salami, a bit spicier). Then I went on my way to Flagstaff.
I was really glad I'd decided to do this journey during the day, because the views in New Mexico, even from the bus, were absolutely amazing. It has some of the most beautiful landscapes I have ever seen, and I definitely want to go back with a car, and perhaps check out some of the many National Parks in the area.
I arrived at Flagstaff about midnight, which was just too late to be picked up by the people at the hostel. I'd tried ringing them but my mobile ran out of batteries, and by the time I reached another phone they'd switched the answering machine on and closed up. Luckily a nice couple let me share their taxi, so I got to the hostel for a dollar. It was, however, all closed up, so I wandered around for a while, wondering what I was going to do. After a few minutes a guy came along, sympathised with my plight, and let me into his dorm, where there were a couple of empty beds.
Then, this morning, I packed and checked in as if I had just arrived, meaning I stayed there one night for free! I went on the Grand Canyon Tour this morning, and, well, it was awesome. It really is jaw-droppingly spectacular. We had a look round the main area first, I saw a Condor, a great big vulture with a three metre wingspan, got a great picture of it too. Then we went to another spot for lunch, then we hiked down a mile and a half, and back up, which was pretty hard work, but again, some great views. We made a couple more stops, one at a small museum showing stuff on Native Americans and a dwelling of their ancestors known as Puebleans, and another at an are called Desert View, which has a watchtower with some more great views. We then drove back through the Navajo Reservation, stopping off at one of their markets selling jewelry and stuff, as well as some great views of a tributary of the Grand Canyon, which I can't remember the name of.
All in all, a very worth while experience, and a great day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home