Thursday, July 07, 2005

This was going to be a lot longer but...

..then I found out about London being hit by a series of terrorist attacks today. I'm pretty shocked, I didn't expect this at all, especially when I was away. Fortunately they haven't been too serious, but fucking hell, what with the Olympics and all, they're going to have to be very careful. I suppose it will also help the government push the ID cards, as well as fucking up the agenda for the G8. I'm reminded by this situation of the chaplain from Catch-22, who after a particularly brutal mission somewhere, on hearing a certain number of people are dead, hopes his friends will not be among the number and make it back safely. He then feels guilty for wishing death on some people he's never met.


Anyway, no-one's here to listen to my comments on this sort of thing, you want to hear about my trip. Yesterday I went to see the Guggenheim, which was pretty cool, lots of cool 20th century art, which is the only century I'm particularly interested in when it comes to art. I also went to see the Natural History museum, which was pretty cool (The great big blue whale hanging from the ceiling is very impressive).

The reason this is going up this morning as opposed to yesterday evening (although I'm sure it makes no difference to you) is that last night I got talking to some British people from all over the place, and had a few cans of beer from the offie. Over here they sell 24Oz cans, that's a pint and a half, for $1, thats about 60p. Yes, that is insanely cheap. Its 5% beer too, tastes of piss, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. I've met a girl who's on her way back(most of the people here are on that, having been on big gap year trips, and are all quite surprised when they hear I've only just done A-levels. Damn Oratory telling me not to take a gap year) anyway, this girl has done roughly what I'm planning to do, so that was nice.

This has turned out a lot longer than I expected, but what the hell, it's kept my mind off the London stuff. Until now, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home