Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Two Bridges

After waking up way too early thanks to jetlag I eventually got back to sleep and got up at a reasonable time, after which I went down to the Natural History Museum, which was closed, so I went to the Met. I spent several hours in here, looking at the Egyptian, Roman, Greek, Asian, Pacific and South American exhibits, diappointingly there was bugger all in terms of Native American stuff. Photos will follow eventually.

After that I took the subway down to Brooklyn Bridge and walked across, again, pictures to follow. I walked back across Manhattan Bridge, then into Chinatown where I had a nice meal of rice with pork and duck at the hilariously named New Big Wang chinese restaurant. After a couple of refreshing peaches from a chinese market stall, I headed off home, I think I've finally recovered from jetlag now, I feel pretty normal.

I think I've worked out the subway system now, the reason it's confusing is that instead of naming branches like we do in London after where the train is going (such as Upminster or Edgware Road), in New York they call the line a whole different letter. The colour is the same, but when some of the letters are express trains that don't stop at every stop, it's easy to make a mistake.

As for other miscellaneous observations, there are a heck of a lot of 4x4s around, I saw an advert for a reality TV show on this week called "I want to be a Hilton". I knew they were way ahead of Channels 4,5 and ITV over here it terms of crap on TV, but this made me shudder...

Another thing, those Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches so loved by Homer Simpson aren't actually peanut butter and jelly. "Jelly" over here is another word for jam, albeit the rubbishy gelatinous stuff you get in hotels, but I think they use that name for most kinds.

That's it for now, I'm off to bed, I may have recovered from jetlag, but I'm still knackered as I spent most of today walking, whether around the Met, through streets or across the Bridges. Photos soon, I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home